Lately I’ve been working with the new version of BusinessObjects, BI4. In a previous post I already covered a bit on the migration process from XI 3.1 to the BI4 platform. From there, most of my attention has gone to working with Web Intelligence. Soon I encountered a problem with charts not showing up, or displaying red crosses. After some research I found it had something to do with a failing Adaptive Processing Server. I installed patch 8 which did not solve the problem, and then patch 9 which also did not solve the problem.
Ultimately I removed some services from the AdaptiveProcessingServer which solved my problem. In this post I’ll explain what I did en how to do it.
Warning: I only used Web Intelligence so far! My actions described below might cause other BO applications to stop working…
Log on to the CMC and go to ‘Servers’ and then ‘Servers List’ check the status of the APS (AdaptiveProcessingServer). In case it is not stopped, stop it manually by right clicking.
Once the APS is stopped, right click to ‘Select Services’.
I removed 14 services from the APS:
Then I saved the settings and restarted the APS. Charts are now showing up again.
Of course this disables certain functionalities that depend on the removed services. My primary goal however is to test Web Intelligence and that is working again.
For more information on configuring the APS visit Dallas Marks blog: